As the volunteer track gang no longer exists and some of the methods and equipment used would not meet today's safety standards, professional contactors are being used.
The outline plan is:
- remove all of the existing track and points
- mark out the new track plan (the points will be slightly further apart so that less sharp curves can be used)
- dig out this area to a depth of two feet or so and establish levels
- fill with hardcore and compact with high tech 'Wacker'
- fill with concrete ultimately resulting in a concrete bed for the entire passing loop
- layout and level the track
- fishplates will be used for point castings but all other rail joints will be welded
- check out all clearances etc before filling to rail head level
2 & 3. Steel shuttering is being laid around the area to be concreted.
4. This machine was being used as a giant fork lift.
5. Levelling the hard core.