Thursday, April 09, 2009

1959

I have been scanning and OCR reading copies of the TMS Newsletter from 1955 until 1960 in preparation for a forthcoming Journal article. Whilst I remember my first visit to the Museum, I wasn't sure of the date, only that it was before Cardiff 131 arrived. I can now confirm that it was on Saturday 2nd May 1959 when I met Dennis Gill and several other Manchester area members. Dennis was very enthusiastic and made sure I took a membership form home with me. I joined the Society a few weeks later.
The July 1959 Newsletter reported a donation of £7-1-10d toward's 131's restoration and made the followinging statement:
'131 will be one of the first cars at Crich to be restored, and work will commence on it as soon as the car shed is errected.'
So 131's restoration is just 49 years late. What will the next 50 years bring?

No comments:

Post a Comment